5 popular universities offering English as a Second Language program
For people who do not have English as their native language, English becomes their second language; they are known as non-native speakers. English as a second language is used in countries where English is not the official language. The English used in these countries has their own regional inflections and a slight difference in grammar usage. For such people, there are English classes or English language programs conducted by various universities.
These programs fulfill the need to teach native English to non-native users of the language so that the learners can use it for their academic, professional, and personal needs. These programs cover grammar, reading, writing, and oral communication skills. Here are 5 popular universities that offer English classes through English as a Second Language (ESL) programs:
- University of Arizona’s CESL Center for English as a Second Language: English Language (ESL), TESOL and Teacher Training, and English for Specific Purposes Programs are some of the top programs here. The tuition fee is $1,000 to $5,000 per session. This university offers programs at an undergraduate level as well as a graduate or an advanced university program.
- Queens College City, University of New York: One of the top programs offered here is English as a Second Language (ESL). The tuition fee is $300 to $3000 per semester. This institute offers full-time day program as well as a part-time evening program.
- University of Texas at Arlington English Language Institute: One of the top programs offered here is English as a Second Language (ESL). The cost per session is $1,000 to $5,000. This university offers a bridge program that lets students take mainstream university classes along with their English study.
- Georgetown University’s English as a Foreign Language (EFL)): The top programs here are the following: Business English, Bridge Programs, and English for Professionals. With a tuition fee of $15,000 to $20,000 per year, the various programs offered require learners to be aged above 17 years and that they should have completed secondary school education.
- Oklahoma State University’s English Language Institute: With a tuition fee of $1,000 to $5,000 per semester, this institute offers a comprehensive program that helps students enhance their communication skills in English. This institute has a global student community.